One of our refrigerator staples is hummus. I make it at least once a week because everyone in our house loves it and it’s such a healthy, nutrient dense snack for anytime of day. I send it to school with veggies for a snack for the kids, I always put it out on the weekends with veggies and healthy chips for the kids to snack on when they’re hungry in between meals, and I put a scoop on my salad when I need a little extra boost.
What I love about it is I can make it taste like whatever we’re in the mood for, or whatever I have extra of in the fridge. My personal favorite is to add adobe peppers and cilantro but my kids don’t all love that :)
I also love making sure my family is getting a lot of plant based protein. The proven benefits of increasing healthy, plant-based meals in our diets is tremendous. Beans are an excellent source of soluble fiber, an ingredient that regulates blood sugars and, as a result, may help soften mood swings and calm emotions. Dramatic fluctuations in blood sugar can bring out your child’s cranky side, so choosing foods that help balance sugar levels is key to keeping kids happy and healthy. And keeping you sane! Plant based proteins also improve brain function, and aid in healthy digestion.
For other great plant based options, visit the Yumble Kids’ Food Menu and check out many of our vegetarian options.
This recipe for hummus is simple, and can be modified easily with whatever you have in the house or that your kids need a little boost of.
Joanna’s Family Friendly Hummus Recipe:
- 1 15 oz can of drained chickpeas (I like low sodium, organic)
- 2 small garlic cloves
- Juice from 1 large lemon
- ⅓ cup organic tahini
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tbsp water
- Salt and pepper
- Additional veggies (optional): 1 cup spinach, 1 can quartered artichokes, handful kale
- In a food processor, puree the chickpeas and garlic.
- Add the lemon juice, water, tahini, cumin, salt and pepper. Pulse for another minute.
- While it’s pureeing, gradually add the olive oil.
- If you chose to add veggies, add them now and puree another minute until smooth.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week.
- Serve with veggies, whole grain chips, whole wheat pita bread, or in cucumber cups as shown.
- Then, enjoy!
Looking for an easy way to feed your kids nutritious meals? Yumble will help take the stress out of meal planning, even if you have a picky eater. Simply pick the plan that works best for your family, choose your weekly meals, and Yumble will take care of the rest! No cooking required!