Busy moms know meal planning for kids is quite a challenge. Of course, we want the best for our kids, especially when it comes to nutrition. However, it’s difficult to know exactly what your kids need and how to provide it.
The most important recommendation from the dietary guidelines for children is to provide kids with a variety of foods from all of the food groups. One of the best tips for busy moms to be a great children’s healthy meal planner is to prepare ahead of time. Here are some of our favorite kids’ meal plan ideas to help you brainstorm.
Healthy breakfast ideas for your kids’ meal plan
A wholesome breakfast will set your kids up for a successful, healthy day. However, breakfast might be the meal you have the least amount of time to prepare. Here are some easy meals for preschoolers and older kids that you can easily include in a children’s healthy meal planner:
- Eggs (however they like them), whole wheat toast, butter, fresh fruit, milk. Try our Turkey Sausage & Eggs as a great, protein-filled option here
- Oatmeal, milk, fresh fruit, nuts or seeds
- Whole wheat toast, nut butter, fruit, milk
- Omelet with veggies, cheese, side of fruit, milk
A children’s healthy meal planner for lunch
If your kids go to school or daycare, your children’s healthy meal planner should include easy-to-eat foods that will stay fresh until lunch. Here are some easy lunch ideas that your kids will be excited to eat:
- Wrap with whole wheat tortilla, deli meat, cheese, lettuce and tomato, side of carrots with dip, fruit
- Nut butter sandwich on whole wheat bread, veggies with dip, milk
- Chicken salad with whole wheat crackers, cheese, and fruit
- Cheese Fusilli Pasta - just heat and serve this filling, healthy lunch!
- Pita pizza with one small whole wheat pita, pizza sauce, veggie, and cheese
Dinner planning for kids
Dinner might be the most difficult meal in a toddler meal plan. It’s totally normal for younger kids to go through stages where they eat very little at meals, as well as phases of extremely picky eating (take this picky eater quiz if you think you have a difficult eater on your hands). Here are some meal ideas to encourage variety in your kids’ meal plan:
- Chicken Marinara and Alfredo - gluten-free and full of veggies!
- Salmon with veggies (try sweet potatoes or green beans)
- Turkey burger on a whole wheat bun, side of veggies
- Veggie mac n’ cheese
- Chick N Casserole - a healthy twist on cheesy chicken and rice casserole!
Remember to include snacks for kids in any healthy meal plan
We’re convinced that kids would live on snacks if parents let them. Snacks are actually an important part of healthy meal plans for kids. Kids have pretty small tummies and they need snacks to hold them over until meal time. Plus, they need the extra calories when they’re growing! Snacks are a great opportunity for parents to squeeze in some extra nutrition. Here are some snack ideas for your children’s healthy meal planner.
- Apple with nut butter
- Veggies (try carrots or bell pepper strips) with hummus or guacamole
- Snack Poppers - sweet and satisfying, yet boosted with nutritious grains and seeds
- Yogurt and fruit
- Banana “nice cream” (frozen banana, blended to the texture of soft serve)
- Cheese and fruit
Use these ideas to get started on meal planning for kids and save yourself from the stress of mealtime. There are plenty of toddler veggie recipes to help you incorporate plenty of veggies even if you have picky eaters. Or, you can recruit the help of a kids meal delivery service to have quick, healthy meals on hand all the time!
Looking for an easy way to incorporate wholesome, healthy meals into your kids’ meal plan? Yumble is the children’s healthy meal planner that does the hard work for you. We deliver fresh, delicious, fully prepared kids’ meals right to your door. Pick the plan that works best for your family, choose your weekly meals, and Yumble will take care of the rest! No cooking required!